📝 What I learned in painting school is
I took an eight week oil painting class at the The Art League, part of the Torpedo Factory Art Center. It was refreshing to force myself to make art, since I usually spend a year on one or two paintings and leave plenty more unfinished. I’ve come to admire a few artists during this time, including Edward Harrison Compton, Brian Sindler, and Anne Becker.
Here are the highlights from the class:
- Understanding light and value is more important than getting the outline of that dumb vase right.
- If you think you need to use Mars Black, you probably don’t.
- You only need very little color to dramatically change your palette.
- I need to step farther away from the canvas more.
- Murphy’s Oil Soap is a good oil paint remover.
- Produce really does make for good practice.